Monday, November 24, 2014

Slight change of plans

Hey guys! I have spent my weekend trying to decide on which program I want to apply for. After much deliberation it is official, drum roll please... I am going to Costa Rica! While in Costa Rica for 21 days I will spend my time building schools and other building made from Eco-bricks. We will also work on family coffee farms and learn about building a sustainable world. I am also applying for the Spanish language immersion program while there. The GLA (Global Leadership Adventures) will allow me to spend time with the locals of Costa Rica each day to learn Spanish.

After picking Costa Rica I thought about how exactly I was going to raise the money to go on the trip: expenses of travel, airfare, and the actual tuition. However, it all seemed to be quite selfish. I didn't want my project to be people in our community paying for me to go on this trip. Eventhough it is a service trip it just didn't feel right to me. After speaking to my parents they have decided that they are willing to loan me the money for the trip and I will pay them back as soon as I can.  So even though that was figured out, I then I had the challenge of deciding on what my project would be.

My plan is to contact a company and see if I could start a "Get one, Give one" program.  I could talk to a shoe company or a tee shirt company and sell that item around the community. For example, with each purchase of a tee shirt I will bring one tee shirt to the children's in Costa Rica. My hope is that  I will to be able to bring something (hopefully many things) down to Costa Rica when I go this summer to give to the children. This week I will be contacting companies to see if anyone would be interested in helping me!




No comments:

Post a Comment